(This post was originally published on the Kansas Beef Council beef blog at http://www.KansasBeefChat.com)
I am a morning runner. There are few other things I look forward to like welcoming the sun, seeing our cows and jogging beside our two farm dogs down our dusty dirt roads. My runs help me clear my head, make my mental to-do list for the day and have a little “me time” before the hustle and bustle of kids, work and life.
But my pre-breakfast calorie burn means I am usually starving by 8 a.m. and often a bowl of cereal just doesn’t do the trick. We all know that protein is an important part of lunch and supper but a protein-packed breakfast can help set your morning on the right path and give you the energy to tackle whatever your day may bring. After my runs, I attempt to eat a protein-based breakfast to keep myself full and active through the morning.
Many nutritional experts recommend you get 25 to 30 grams of protein at breakfast. That may sound like a lot, but there are great beef recipes that can help you pack that protein punch and reach the recommended 46 grams of protein for women and 53 grams of protein for men each day.
Here is a great recipe for Easy Beef Breakfast Rolls. Make these ahead and you can grab one as you walk out the door.
EASY BEEF BREAKFAST ROLLS (From http://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com)
- Country-Style Beef Breakfast Sausage (recipe follows)
- 2 large eggs, scrambled
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon water
- Fillings (optional): Chopped onions, salsa, chopped cooked vegetables
- 12 balls of frozen bread dough, thawed
- Prepare Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage. Remove from skillet.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray. Combine beef crumbles, scrambled eggs, cheese and water. Stir in optional filling ingredients, if desired. Roll out one dough ball at a time on unfloured surface to 4 to 5-inch diameter circle. Place approximately 1/4 cup of beef sausage filling into the center of the circle. Gather edges of dough and pinch together. With hands roll dough back into ball. Place seam-side down into a muffin cup.
- Bake 24 to 27 minutes or until rolls are golden brown.
Country-Style Beef Breakfast Sausage: Combine 1 pound Ground Beef (93% or leaner), 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage, 1 teaspoon garlic power, 1 teaspoon onion power, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add beef mixture; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 1/2-inch crumbles, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition information per serving: 409 calories; 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 138 mg cholesterol; 617 mg sodium; 35 g carbohydrate; 0 g fiber; 32 g protein; 6.2 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.2 mcg vitamin B12; 4.9 mg iron; 22.2 mcg selenium; 5.7 mg zinc; 119.2 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline.
Total Recipe Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Makes 12 servings